- Maria Paula Diogo awarded the Leonardo da Vinci medal, the highest honor attributed by the Society for the History of Technology
07 October 2020
The distinction is awarded since 1962, and has among its laureates foundational names of History of Technology, like Melvin Kranzberg, Joseph Needham, and Lewis Mumford.
- Ana Duarte Rodrigues collaborates with a new exhibition at the National Library of Portugal dedicated to Portugal's Historical Gardens
06 October 2020
CIUHCT's coordinator joined the technical and scientific advisory team of the new exhibition "Jardins Históricos de Portugal: Memória e Futuro" [Historical Gardens of Portugal: Memory and Future], which can be visited at the National Library of Portugal until March 2021. The exhibition was organised by the Portuguese Association of Historical Gardens and is part of the Lisbon: European Green Capital 2020 programme.
- Cristina Luís interviewed on the NEWSERA project
06 October 2020
The CIUHCT researcher spoke to ScienceMediaHub, a digital platform from the European Parliament, discussing her participation on the international NEWSERA consortium. The project aims at using citizen science to improve science communication, and Cristina Luís explains how she will test new training models at her institution, the Faculty of Sciences of the University of Lisbon.
- Ana Simões, Vice-President of the European Society for the History of Science
04 September 2020
In the General Assembly that took place on September 3, Maria Paula Diogo was also reelected to the ESHS Scientific Council, thus assuring that CIUHCT continues to be represented in this body of the Society.
- MEDEA-CHART project launches new database of nautical historical cartography
03 December 2019
This project is led by CIUHCT researcher Joaquim Alves Gaspar, with funding from the European Research Council. One of its mains goals is the public release of this tool, which aims to aid the study of historical nautical charts and facilitate access to them for both the scientific community and all members of the public. The database currently includes records of almost 3.500 charts, and at least 50% of these records include a digital reproduction. The application was developed by project member Ricardo Neiva Vaz, in collaboration with the team.
- CIUHCT receives a new Scientific Employment contract
03 December 2019
In the 300 contracts available under the Individual Call to Scientific Employment Stimulus 2018, CIUHCT has secured one. Although this result does not satisfy us, given the size of our research area in the context of Arts and Humanities and the profile of the awarded contracts, CIUHCT is positioned, once again, as a research unit of reference.
- New issue of HoST — Journal of History of Science and Technology (13.2, December 2019) online
29 November 2019
The new issue includes the special issue "Animals, Science and Technology: multispecies histories of scientific and sociotechnical knowledge-practices", coordinated by Richie Nimmo, a work in progress by PhD candidate Hugo Soares, and reviews of the latest books by Audra Wolfe, Álvaro Girón, and Hugh Cagle.
- New issue of the Board Game Studies Journal (13.1)
12 November 2019
BGSJ is a scientific journal, in english, published yearly in open access by Sciendo (DeGruyter), with CIUHCT's support.
- New fellowships in the ERC projects MEDEA-CHART and RUTTER
11 November 2019
Applications accepted until November 15 (RUTTER) and December 5 (Medea Chart).
- Plasticity exhibition receives the prestigious Dibner Award for Excellence in Museum Exhibits
28 October 2019
The distinction was awarded by the Society for the History of Technology (SHOT).