Engineering and Scientific Culture in Catalunya and Spain
Maria Paula Diogo (Coordinator of the Portuguese Group), in partnership with the Escola Tècnica Superior d'Enginyeria Industrial de Barcelona, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya
HUM2007-62222/HIST, Ministerio da Educácion y Ciencia (Espanha)
NOTE: the leader of this project is Antoni Roca-Rosell, historian of science technology and teacher at the ETS de Ingeniería Industrial de Barcelona. CIUHCT participates in the team in its sub line 5, which is centered on a comparative approach that includes the Portuguese case.
This project includes two different, yet complementary, lines of research: heritage and history of science and technology.
- Concerning the studies on heritage, the project will continue the ongoing project on the archives and collections of instruments of the ETS de Ingeniería Industrial de Barcelona and will initiate a new study on the Escuela Industrial de Barcelona (1904).
- Concerning the HST research the project will privilege the following issues:
- 1) the study of the textbooks used in the Academia Militar de Matemáticas de Barcelona (1720-1803) and specially the concept of “mix mathematics”;
- 2) the courses promoted by the Junta de Comercio de Cataluña and their impact on the local scientific and technical culture, as well as on the professionalization of engineers;
- 3) the pioneers of new technical fields, namely electronics;
- 4) the history of ETS de Ingeniería Industrial de Barcelonafrom 1936 to 2000;
- 5) a comparative study with Portugal, Russia, Italy and the rest of Spain.