- CIUHCT scored as Excellent (top score) in the latest FCT Evaluation of R&D Units
25 June 2019
After being graded as 'Exceptional' in 2015, and with a new grading system in place that no longer includes this classification, CIUHCT is again placed within the top R&D units in Portugal. The international evaluation panel also highlighted CIUHCT's leadership position at the European level.
- Maria Elvira Callapez writes about the history of plastics for the SIC Notícias website
25 June 2019
Next to environmental concerns with plastic waste, Maria Elvira Callapez provides the historical background of the use of these materials, arguing that "any future scenario where plastics don't play an even more important role in our lives sounds irrealistic".
- H2020 project InsSciDE, participated by CIUHCT researchers, was received by the Office of European Commissioner Carlos Moedas, in Brussels
23 June 2019
The meeting, almost two hours long, included a global presentation of the project, highlights on the importance of its outputs for European guidelines on science diplomacy, and plans for medium-term collaboration.
- New issue of HoST — Journal of History of Science and Technology (13.1, June 2019) online
19 June 2019
The new volume includes the special issue "Before the Silent Spring: Pesticides in Twentieth-Century Europe", coordinated by José Rámon Bertomeu-Sánchez, an extended abstract of Thomas J. Misa's Distinguished Lecture, a work in progress by PhD student Inês N. Navalhas, and reviews of the latest books by Tiago Saraiva, Samir Boumediene, and Cathy Gere.
- Two research fellowships for PhDs in ERC Project RUTTER
05 June 2019
This call will be open until July 5, and the fellowships will start in September 2019.
- Público highlights efforts by CIUHCT researchers in preservation of scientific collection
04 June 2019
In its June 3 edition, the newspaper revisited the story of the scientific collection of Escola-Oficina Nº1, in the neighbourhood of Graça, in Lisbom. The objects were fortuitously (re)discovered by CIUHCT researcher João Monteiro, and preserved thanks to the National Museum of Natural History of Science and the PRISC Network (through CIUHCTer Marta Lourenço).
- i newspaper interviews Maria Elvira Callapez
30 May 2019
- CIUHCT participates in the commemoration of the 25 years of Manguinhos
30 May 2019
CIUHCT researcher M. Luísa Sousa, editor in chief of HoST — Journal of History of Science and Technology, will represent the centre in the workshop celebrating the event, in a roundtable dedicated to discuss the tendencies, difficulties and potential of peer review.
- CIUHCT researchers lectured at the course 'History, Environment and Knowledge in the Anthropocene', at the prestigious FIOCRUZ
21 May 2019
CIUHCT's participation in the course reinforces its leadership in the debate on the Anthropocene in the context of Social Sciences in Portugal, as well as the connections between portuguese and brazilian teaching and research. The course will soon be available in FIOCRUZ's Virtual Campus.
- Two PhD fellowships in History of Science (FCUL), associated with ERC Project RUTTER
16 May 2019
Applications will be accepted until June 22. The PhD program is expected to begin in September 2019.