- MEDEA-CHART project launches new database of nautical historical cartography
03 December 2019
This project is led by CIUHCT researcher Joaquim Alves Gaspar, with funding from the European Research Council. One of its mains goals is the public release of this tool, which aims to aid the study of historical nautical charts and facilitate access to them for both the scientific community and all members of the public. The database currently includes records of almost 3.500 charts, and at least 50% of these records include a digital reproduction. The application was developed by project member Ricardo Neiva Vaz, in collaboration with the team.
- CIUHCT receives a new Scientific Employment contract
03 December 2019
In the 300 contracts available under the Individual Call to Scientific Employment Stimulus 2018, CIUHCT has secured one. Although this result does not satisfy us, given the size of our research area in the context of Arts and Humanities and the profile of the awarded contracts, CIUHCT is positioned, once again, as a research unit of reference.
- New issue of HoST — Journal of History of Science and Technology (13.2, December 2019) online
29 November 2019
The new issue includes the special issue "Animals, Science and Technology: multispecies histories of scientific and sociotechnical knowledge-practices", coordinated by Richie Nimmo, a work in progress by PhD candidate Hugo Soares, and reviews of the latest books by Audra Wolfe, Álvaro Girón, and Hugh Cagle.
- New issue of the Board Game Studies Journal (13.1)
12 November 2019
BGSJ is a scientific journal, in english, published yearly in open access by Sciendo (DeGruyter), with CIUHCT's support.
- New fellowships in the ERC projects MEDEA-CHART and RUTTER
11 November 2019
Applications accepted until November 15 (RUTTER) and December 5 (Medea Chart).
- Plasticity exhibition receives the prestigious Dibner Award for Excellence in Museum Exhibits
28 October 2019
The distinction was awarded by the Society for the History of Technology (SHOT).
- CIUHCT at the European Researchers' Night 2019
28 September 2019
We are at the National Museum of Natural History and Science with the activity "AntropoQUÊ" (AnthropoWHAT), a memory game destined to younger audiences, about the importance of seeing nature as a partner, and not just as a resource.
- CIUHCT organiza as exposições "E3-FCT" e "The Eagle has Landed. Viagens à Lua" na Biblioteca da FCT NOVA
16 September 2019
Ambas têm inauguração oficial no dia 23 de Setembro de 2019, pelas 14:30, na Biblioteca da FCT NOVA.
- New issue of Gardens and Landscapes of Portugal (vol.5): Ars therapeutica, hortus sanitatem
30 August 2019
GL&P is an open-access journal published by Sciendo/DeGruyter and supported by CIUHCT.
- AQUA opens scholarships for masters' dissertations
12 July 2019
The scholarships will have a maximum duration of 9 months, and are destined to students that choose to work on hydraulic systems in gardens or monastic enclosures in Portugal, during the Early Modern period.