Objectives of the workshop
- To assess the current state of knowledge and the range of opinion about the following aspects of research into the medieval portolan chart:
- When, where, how and why were the earliest portolan charts constructed?
- How did the portolan charts evolve over time?
- Were the portolan charts used in marine navigation and, if so, how; if not, what was their likely function?
- To clarify the role of cartometric analytical techniques in the study of portolan charts
- To bring any other method to bear on these problems, such as the analysis of inks and parchments, special lighting to detect marks of use and to decipher illegible elements, and any other relevant approaches.
- Corradino Astengo
- Chet Van Duzer
- Piero Falchetta
- Catherine Hofmann
- Roel Nicolai
- Richard Pflederer
- Ramón Pujades
- Emmanuelle Vagnon
Scientific programmeDownload book of abstracts (pdf / 1,383.36 KB)
Group photo of the participants
Taken at the end of the meeting.