The Centro Interuniversitário de História das Ciências e da Tecnologia (CIUHCT) is the result of the merging of two previous units in the area of History of Science and Technology: Centro de História e Filosofia da Ciência e da Tecnologia (CHFCT) and Centro de História das Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa (CHCUL). From 2007 to 2014 it hosted two research lines associated with its two different host institutions (FCT/NOVA and Ciências/ULisboa). Following the 2014 evaluation period, in which CIUHCT scored the maximum grade – Exceptional, CIUHCT has undergone a thematic reorganization.
CIUHCT aims at asserting the relevance of History of STM in building citizenship and European identity, focusing specifically, but not exclusively, in STM historical case studies on Portugal in an international perspective. CIUHCT participates actively in international debates on the concepts of center(s) and periphery(ies), on the relevance of STM knowledge in the construction of modern and contemporary societies, using an innovative methodological framework centered on the trilogy circulation, appropriation and innovation.
Thematic research lines
- Instruments and Practices, Visual and Material Cultures. It addresses STM actors and practices, objects, and their representations, including but not restricted to instruments, with a view to contribute to a renewed history of knowledge, encompassing scholarly and artisanal forms, bridging traditional conceptual, socio-professional and disciplinary barriers, and contributing to recent historiographical debates.
- Experts, institutions and globalization. Aims at building an integrated historical narrative by focusing on the co-production of STM knowledge and its various forms of circulation and the political agendas of the various political regimes in Portugal and its colonies since the 18th century. It is particularly suited to enlighten contemporary hot topics such as innovation, knowledge and reflexive societies, through the seldom used, but extremely useful, lenses of history, philosophy and sociology of STM.
In the period 2015-2020, CIUHCT proposes to implement the following multidisciplinary scientific projects which go beyond individual research activities
- A multi-volume Dictionary of Biographies of Portuguese scientists, engineers of physicians or STM scholars working in Portugal, edited by CIUHCT's members, encompassing c. 1000 entries.
- A Bibliography of the History of STM in Portugal listing publications on the history of STM in Portugal, covering the period from 2005 to 2015.
- Edited volume(s) of History of STM in Portugal
- Publication of HoST international e-journal on a regular basis, securing its inclusion in a reputed database
CIUHCT aims additionally to contribute to the consolidation of a strong scientific community by actively participating in the training of students (graduate and post-graduate level) as well as by enrolling in outreach activities (popularization, exhibits, etc).
CIUHCT is committed to building and participating on international scientific networks, including: