About the workshop
Although globalization gurus sustain the flatness of the world and the endless expansion of international networks, history of science and technology narratives have stressed the crucial role of the local dimension of knowledge production. The workshop brings together historians of science and technology to discuss the many dimensions of science and technology circulation. Instead of considering it as an automatic phenomenon following the universal character of science, participants are invited to explore the multiple ways by which local knowledge and technology become suitable for transnational circulation. The role of the local context of reception, between passive import and wishful reinvention, will be open to debate. The workshop also wants to review center/periphery narratives and their relevance to circulation issues.
- Places - laboratories, museums or gardens as sites for the interchanging of different scales: local, national, imperial, global…
- Travels - displacements of instruments, people and knowledge.
- Landscapes - the translations of science and technology into formations in the landscape.
Scientific programmeDownload programme (pdf / 142,98 KB)
workshops HoSt (2006-2013)
- The Circulation of Science and Technology: Places, Travels and Landscapes (2006)
- Science, Technology and Fascism (2007)
- Science, Technology and the Portuguese Empire (2008)
- Places of Modern Science: Situated Laboratories, Dispersed Artifacts (2009)
- Ciência e tecnologia para o povo (2010)
- A Experiência Politécnica (2013)