Sobre esta call
O workshop internacional The History of Water Management está a receber propostas até ao dia 26 de Março. O evento será organizado pelo CIUHCT e irá ter lugar a 29 e 30 de Junho de 2017, no Museu da Água, em Lisboa.
Para participar, deverá enviar um resumo de 250 palavras e uma curta nota biográfica (até 200 palavras) para o endereço firstname.lastname@example.org. São aceites propostas em inglês, francês, espanhol, e italiano. A data-limite de submissão é 26 de Março de 2017 e a selecção das propostas será comunicada aos participantes até 16 de Abril de 2017.
Texto da Call (em inglês)
Although some individual topics have been investigated, Water History in Portugal is still to be made. This conference aims to contribute to that historiographical gap by focusing on water history in the early modern period. Between the sixteenth and the eighteenth centuries, water works were particularly challenging in Portugal, covering the construction of aqueducts, the spread of watermills, the use of wells and norias, and the development of irrigation systems and water works in gardens, among others. This was accompanied by a prolific international literary production which circulated and existed in Portuguese libraries, and this knowledge also taught in the Portuguese context.
This conference aims to build historical knowledge on water based on the contributions of various fields such as the History of Science, Hydraulic Engineering, Landscape Architecture, Geography and Urbanism. Furthermore, it aims to gather experts across Europe and from northern Africa so as to promote a comparative study between water technology or water management in Portugal and other geographies.
Finally, we want to discuss how this knowledge and these solutions can be useful in current times.
We strongly encourage comparative and transdisciplinary approaches. Potential contributors are invited to submit a paper on the following topics:
- Organising expertise in treatises on hydraulics, agriculture, art of gardens and urbanism
- Books, projects, experts and the circulation of water technology
- Water systems used both in productive fields and designed landscapes and evaluation of their efficiency
- Interrelationship between people and a technology cluster
- Hydraulic systems and the actors enrolled in these constructions, their management and use
- Flood control and drainage
- Impact of water technology in society and the environment
- Papers addressing the above topics will be most welcome but papers on questions related to the above topics will also be considered.