- Ivo Louro co-edits a special issue of Cadernos de Arte e Antropologia
22 April 2021 News
Ivo Louro co-edits a special issue of the Cadernos de Arte e Antropologia journal, with a dossier dedicated to A Sonic Anthropocene – Sound Practices in a Changing Environment.
- AQUA opens call for two Masters Research Grants
30 March 2021 News
The scholarships will have a maximum duration of 9 months, and are intended for archival work, bibliography study, hydraulics and fieldwork on a hydraulic system of gardens or fences of the Modern Age in Portugal, with a view to presenting it as a Master's thesis.
- Francisco Malta Romeiras wins Honorable Mention at the ULisboa / CGD Scientific Awards
16 April 2021 News
Francisco Malta Romeiras wins an honorable mention at the annual Scientific Awards University of Lisbon / Caixa Geral de Depósitos, in the area of History and Philosophy.
- Jorge Flores appointed external fellow of the Global History and Culture Center
26 February 2021 News
Jorge Flores was appointed external fellow and advisor to the Global History and Culture Centre, University of Warwick, UK.
- Maria Paula Diogo is one of the researchers portrayed in the new edition of the book Women in Science
03 March 2021 News
A Ciência Viva project, this edition of the book Women in Science 2021 brings together 101 portraits of researchers from different generations and areas of knowledge.
- Raquel Cristina (AQUA) proves that contemporary gardens consume more water than those of the Modern Age
03 March 2021 News
Raquel Cristina, an AQUA project fellow, proves mathematically that contemporary gardens have less efficient water consumption than gardens of the Modern Age.
- Helena Avelar de Carvalho (1964-2021)
10 March 2021 News
Helena Avelar de Carvalho, Principal Investigator of the ASTRA project, has died.
- Bruno Navarro (1977-2021)
31 January 2021 News
Bruno Navarro, president of Fundação Côa Parque and a member of CIUHCT, died at 44 years of sudden illness.
- Call for a Postdoctoral Research Scholarship
26 January 2021 News
Applications will be accepted until February 8. The scholarship is expected to begin in March 2021.
- New issue of HoST — Journal of History of Science and Technology (14.2, Dezembro de 2020) online
04 January 2021 News
The new issue includes the special issue "The Fabulous 1930s in the History of Science and Technology", with an introduction by guest editors, Ana Simões and Antonio Sánchez, as well as a paper by Maria Paula Diogo and reviews of the latest books by Lukas Engelmann and Christos Lynteris, David Pretel and Lino Camprubí, and Tatiana Kasperski.
- As Hortas de Lisboa at the Lisbon Museum with the participation of Ana Duarte Rodrigues
17 December 2020 News
Ana Duarte Rodrigues was a scientific consultant for the temporary exhibition As Hortas de Lisboa at the Lisbon Museum.
- Pieces by Almada Negreiros will be shown for the first time: two exhibitions with Pedro Freitas as the scientific commissioner
02 November 2020 News
The National Museum of Ancient Art and the Monastery of Batalha have two exhibitions, with previously unseen pieces from the artist.
- Maria Paula Diogo awarded the Leonardo da Vinci medal - the highest honor attributed by the Society for the History of Technology
07 October 2020 News
The distinction is awarded since 1962, and has among its laureates foundational names of History of Technology, like Melvin Kranzberg, Joseph Needham, and Lewis Mumford.
- Jorge Nuno Silva´s initiative wins Ciência Viva 2020 Award
24 November 2020 News
The National Mathematical Games Championship is distinguished by the Ciência Viva Awards, awarded annually as recognition for exceptional merit in scientific and technological dissemination in Portugal.
- APOM awards prizes and honourable mentions to the exhibition Plasticidade and Museu de Leiria
11 December 2020 News
The exhibition Plasticidade - Uma história dos plásticos em Portugal and the Museum of Leiria receive two awards and two honourable mentions from the Portuguese Association of Museology (APOM).
- HoST - Journal of History of Science and Technology: Call for thematic issue (2022)
30 December 2020 Calls for Papers
The editors of HoST are looking for proposals for two thematic issues to be published in 2022 (HoST volume 16, issues 1 and 2).
- Ana Duarte Rodrigues collaborates with a new exhibition at the National Library of Portugal dedicated to portuguese Historical Gardens
06 October 2020 News
CIUHCT's coordinator joined the technical and scientific advisory team of the new exhibition "Jardins Históricos de Portugal: Memória e Futuro" [Historical Gardens of Portugal: Memory and Future], which can be visited at the National Library of Portugal until March 2021. The exhibition was organised by the Portuguese Association of Historical Gardens and is part of the Lisbon: European Green Capital 2020 programme.
- Ana Simões becomes Vice-President of the European Society for the History of Science
04 September 2020 News
In the General Assembly that took place on September 3, Maria Paula Diogo was also reelected to the ESHS Scientific Council, thus assuring that CIUHCT continues to be represented in this body of the Society.
- Return of the CIUHCT Lectures, with Ignacio García-Pereda
29 October to 29 October 2020 CIUHCT Lectures
Online, with Ignacio García-Pereda
- Anthropocene Campus Lisboa: Parallax
06 January to 11 January 2020 Meetings
International meeting organised by CIUHCT, its Anthropolands project, and Culturgest, in Lisbon. Part of the Anthropocene Curriculum, started by the Haus der Kulturen der Welt and the Max Planck Institute for the History of Science in 2016.
- Keynote Anthropocene Campus with Scott Knowles: Governance of Risk in a Heating Planet
07 January 2020 Other Events
Part of the open programme of the Anthropocene Campus Lisboa meeting.
- Keynote Anthropocene Campus with Dipesh Chakrabarty: The Climate of History - 10 Years Later
09 January 2020 Other Events
Part of the open programme of the Anthropocene Campus Lisboa meeting.
- MEDEA-CHART project launches new database of nautical historical cartography
03 December 2019 News
This project is led by CIUHCT researcher Joaquim Alves Gaspar, with funding from the European Research Council. One of its mains goals is the public release of this tool, which aims to aid the study of historical nautical charts and facilitate access to them for both the scientific community and all members of the public. The database currently includes records of almost 3.500 charts, and at least 50% of these records include a digital reproduction. The application was developed by project member Ricardo Neiva Vaz, in collaboration with the team.
- New E3 book presented with two CIUHCT exhibitions, at the Faculty of Sciences (Lisbon)
19 December 2019 Book Launches, Other Events
The exhibitions will be inaugurated at the same time, at the atrium of the C6 building of the Faculty, together with launch of "Impressões de Viagem/Travel Impressions".
- CIUHCT receives a new Scientific Employment contract
03 December 2019 News
In the 300 contracts available under the Individual Call to Scientific Employment Stimulus 2018, CIUHCT has secured one. Although this result does not satisfy us, given the size of our research area in the context of Arts and Humanities and the profile of the awarded contracts, CIUHCT is positioned, once again, as a research unit of reference.
- New issue of HoST — Journal of History of Science and Technology (13.2, December 2019) online
29 November 2019 News
The new issue includes the special issue "Animals, Science and Technology: multispecies histories of scientific and sociotechnical knowledge-practices", coordinated by Richie Nimmo, a work in progress by PhD candidate Hugo Soares, and reviews of the latest books by Audra Wolfe, Álvaro Girón, and Hugh Cagle.
- 3rd CIUHCT Distinguished Lecture
05 December 2019
With David Pantalony (Ingenium: Canada's Museums of Science and Innovation), at FCUL, Room 6.1.36
- Plasticity exhibition receives the prestigious Dibner Award for Excellence in Museum Exhibits
28 October 2019 News
The distinction was awarded by the Society for the History of Technology (SHOT).
- New issue of the Board Game Studies Journal (13.1)
12 November 2019 News
BGSJ is a scientific journal, in english, published yearly in open access by Sciendo (DeGruyter), with CIUHCT's support.
- Gresham Lecture: A Global History of the Eclipse of 29 May 1919
28 October 2019 Multimedia
- HoST - Journal of History of Science and Technology: Call for thematic issue (2021)
29 November 2019 Calls for Papers
The editors of HoST are looking for proposals for two thematic issues to be published in 2021 (HoST volume 15, issues 1 and 2).
- ESHS in-between meeting. Rethinking the history of the sciences in Europe
04 October to 05 October 2019 Meetings
First day at the FCiênciasID Amphitheatre, FCUL. Free entrance
- CIUHCT at the European Researchers Night 2019
28 September 2019 News
We are at the National Museum of Natural History and Science with the activity "AntropoQUÊ" (AnthropoWHAT), a memory game destined to younger audiences, about the importance of seeing nature as a partner, and not just as a resource.
- New issue of Gardens and Landscapes of Portugal (vol.5): Ars therapeutica, hortus sanitatem
30 August 2019 News
GL&P is an open-access journal published by Sciendo/DeGruyter and supported by CIUHCT.
- New issue of HoST — Journal of History of Science and Technology (13.1, June 2019) online
19 June 2019 News
The new volume includes the special issue "Before the Silent Spring: Pesticides in Twentieth-Century Europe", coordinated by José Rámon Bertomeu-Sánchez, an extended abstract of Thomas J. Misa's Distinguished Lecture, a work in progress by PhD student Inês N. Navalhas, and reviews of the latest books by Tiago Saraiva, Samir Boumediene, and Cathy Gere.
- CIUHCT scored as Excellent (top score) in the latest FCT Evaluation of R&D Units
25 June 2019 News
After being graded as 'Exceptional' in 2015, and with a new grading system in place that no longer includes this classification, CIUHCT is again placed within the top R&D units in Portugal. The international evaluation panel also highlighted CIUHCT's leadership position at the European level.
- Anthropocene Campus Lisboa: Parallax
15 October 2019 Calls for Papers
In this interdisciplinary event, taking place in January 2020, in Lisbon, participants will be working in workshop-like seminars hosted by conveners, and may apply to one seminar topic from each overarching framework—Systems of Social and Technological Organization and Perception and Narrative.
- Two research fellowships for PhDs in ERC Project RUTTER
05 June 2019 News
This call will be open until July 5, and the fellowships will start in September 2019.
- E3 – Einstein, Eddington and the Eclipse
16 May to 08 September 2019 Exhibitions
Destaque ao encontro improvável entre Einstein e Eddington, celebrando 100 anos do eclipse solar de 1919. No Museu Nacional de História Natural e da Ciência
- Two PhD fellowships in History of Science (FCUL) associated with ERC Project RUTTER
16 May 2019 News
Applications will be accepted until June 22. The PhD program is expected to begin in September 2019.
- Resources, Infrastructures and the Anthropocene: Dialogues between the Global-North and the Global-South
07 June 2019 Calls for Papers
The workshop will take place at the Caparica Campus, Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia da Universidade NOVA de Lisboa, Portugal, between September 18 and 20, 2019.
- Plastics Heritage Congress 2019
29 May to 31 May 2019 Meetings
At the National Coach Museum, in Lisbon.
- Plasticity — A History of Plastics in Portugal
06 April 2019 to 01 December 2020 Exhibitions
No Museu de Leiria, com organização do projecto de investigação O Triunfo da Baquelite – Contributos para uma história dos plásticos em Portugal
- New Railway Museum in Bragança, with CIUHCT participation
29 April 2019 News
CIUHCT researcher Hugo Silveira Pereira, specialist in railway history (Portugal, 19th Century), has collaborated with research and content production tasks, being responsible for editing the Museum's catalogue.
- Henrique Leitão is awarded an ERC Advanced Grant
28 March 2019 News
The project “Making the Earth Global: Early Modern Nautical Rutters and the Construction of a Global Concept of the Earth” (RUTTER) will be funded in two million euros. It is the second ERC grant attributed to a CIUHCT researcher.
- Listening to the Dynamics of Scientific Practice and Technological Development @ Soundscape Campus Colloquium 2019
27 March to 12 April 2019 Meetings
Soundscape Campus is back for a second edition, taking sound as a hub for reflection and hybridization between History of Science and Technology, Sciences, Ecology and Arts, and operating in the larger global context of inquiries into human agency in nature as raised by the concept of the Anthropocene. At FCT/NOVA.
- When science (did not) kill the locusts: The Locust Extinction Services between 1899 and 1980
11 April 2019 CIUHCT Lectures
With Inês Gomes, at FCT/NOVA.
- Ana Viseu in the 2019 edition of Mulheres na Ciência
26 February 2019 News
“Mulheres na Ciência” [Women in Science] is a homage by Ciência Viva to portuguese women scientists, now in its third edition (following 2016, 2017).
- Building Anthropogenic Landscapes in 19th and 20th Century Africa: Railways in Photography
08 February to 08 May 2019 Exhibitions
No Museu Nacional Ferroviário (Entroncamento), com organização de Hugo Silveira Pereira.
- Book by Bruno Navarro praised in Angolan newspaper
29 January 2019 News
The book Um Império projectado pelo silvo da locomotiva [Eng: An empire projected by the whistle of the locomotive], by Bruno Navarro, has received strong praise in the angolan newspaper Novo Jornal, both for its scientific quality and relevance to angolan history.
- Launch of the website Field Scientists in the Portuguese Empire (FiSciPe)
13 January 2019 News
Cláudia Castelo's Investigador FCT project has launched a website dedicated to the presentation of its results. We highlight the searchable database, which gathers data from organisms and research personnel directly, or indiretly, involved in field work in the portuguese colonies, between the 1930s and the 1970s.
- CIUHCT at the 8th International Congress of Technology, Science and Society
09 January 2019 News
Researchers Paula Urze and Maria Paula Diogo (CIUHCT coordinator) have been invited to present the keynote speakers in the first day of the meeting. Maria Paula Diogo will also be the opening keynote speaker.
- CIUHCT researchers in Applied Ethics collection
09 January 2019 News
CIUHCT coordinators Maria Paula Diogo and Ana Simões are the authors of the chapter "História da Ciência e História da Tecnologia: Reflexões sobre ética e prática disciplinares" [History of Science and History of Technology: Reflections on ethics and disciplinary practices], in the latest volume of the Ética Aplicada [Applied Ethics] book collection, published by Edições 70 and the Luso-American Foundation for Development (FLAD).
- The Expurgation of Science and the Science of Expurgating
18 December 2018 CIUHCT Lectures
With Francisco Malta Romeiras, at FCUL, C1 Building, Amphitheatre 1.3.34 (changed on Nov. 28)
- 2nd CIUHCT Distinguished Lecture
04 December 2018 Other Events
The Dominance of the Digital (1990–2016), with Thomas Misa, at the Auditorium of the Library of the Faculty of Sciences and Technology/NOVA.
- Victor de Sá Award in Contemporary History to José Avelãs Nunes
22 November 2018 News
The PhD dissertation "A Arquitectura dos Sanatórios em Portugal: 1850-1970” [The Architecture of Sanatoria in Portugal: 1850-1970] merited the distinction.
- The new issue of HoST — Journal of History of Science and Technology is now online
29 October 2018 News
A HoST — Journal of History of Science and Technology é uma revista de acesso aberto com arbitragem científica, disponível em linha, publicada em inglês pela De Gruyter, em resultado de uma parceria de quatro unidades de investigação portuguesas (CIUHCT, CIDEHUS, Instituto de Ciências Sociais, e Instituto de História Contemporânea). Clique na entrada para ler a tabela de conteúdos do volume 12/1.
- Histórias da Ciência series, every monday, in Público
06 June 2018 News
This series of articles is organised by researchers from the Medea Chart project and aims to introduce general audiences to cases in History of Science. Joaquim Alves Gaspar and Ana Margarida Nunes have coordinated the series and reviewed the articles, from a concept by Henrique Leitão.
- Thomas Horst and Luís Tirapicos, special editors of the Isis Current Bibliography of the History of Science
29 September 2018 News
Horst will be dedicated to the history of cosmography (maps, atlas, globes, instruments and texts), while Tirapicos will be responsible for publications in portuguese language and archaeoastronomy. Their mandates will run until 2020.
- Ana Simões, CIUHCT co-coordinator, President of the European Society for the History of Science
18 September 2018 News
CIUHCT researcher and current vice-coordinator Ana Simões, has started her mandate as President of the European Society of History of Science (ESHS) on September 16, after the General Assembly of the Society's 8th Meeting, a position she will hold until the next meeting, in 2020. Her Presidential Address will be published in a forthcoming issue of the Society's journal, Centaurus.
- CIUHCT applications with high approval rate in Scientific Employment Stimulus 2018
25 September 2018 News
Six new individual research contracts will open, from a total of 12 applications.
- Workshop AQUA
23 April 2021 Other Events
A one-day workshop promoted by the AQUA project.
- Contar com os céus: os lugares dos astros segundo os cânones e as tábuas Afonsinas
29 April 2021 Permanent Seminar of Ancient Astronomy
With Samuel Gessner, online.
- Anthropocene Summit 2021: CIUHCT participates, with Maria Paula Diogo as commissioner
15 June 2021 Other Events
CIUHCT set to organize the Anthropocene Summit 2021.
- 4th Luso-Brazilian Meeting on the History of Tropical Medicine
21 June to 24 June 2021 Meetings
Involved with the organization of the 4th Luso-Brazilian Meeting on the History of Tropical Medicine were Isabel Amaral (presidency, organizing committee and scientific committee), Bárbara Direito (organizing committee and scientific committee) and Ana Duarte Rodrigues (honor committee.)
- T²M Conference 2021
03 November to 05 November 2021 Meetings
CIUHCT organizes the next annual T2M congress - Association for the History of Transport, Traffic and Mobility.