- E3 – Einstein, Eddington and the Eclipse
16 May to 08 September 2019 Exhibitions
Destaque ao encontro improvável entre Einstein e Eddington, celebrando 100 anos do eclipse solar de 1919. No Museu Nacional de História Natural e da Ciência
- Two research fellowships for PhDs in ERC Project RUTTER
05 June 2019 News
This call will be open until July 5, and the fellowships will start in September 2019.
- Two PhD fellowships in History of Science (FCUL) associated with ERC Project RUTTER
16 May 2019 News
Applications will be accepted until June 22. The PhD program is expected to begin in September 2019.
- Resources, Infrastructures and the Anthropocene: Dialogues between the Global-North and the Global-South
07 June 2019 Calls for Papers
The workshop will take place at the Caparica Campus, Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia da Universidade NOVA de Lisboa, Portugal, between September 18 and 20, 2019.
- Plastics Heritage Congress 2019
29 May to 31 May 2019 Meetings
At the National Coach Museum, in Lisbon.
- Plasticity — A History of Plastics in Portugal
06 April 2019 to 01 December 2020 Exhibitions
No Museu de Leiria, com organização do projecto de investigação O Triunfo da Baquelite – Contributos para uma história dos plásticos em Portugal
- New Railway Museum in Bragança, with CIUHCT participation
29 April 2019 News
CIUHCT researcher Hugo Silveira Pereira, specialist in railway history (Portugal, 19th Century), has collaborated with research and content production tasks, being responsible for editing the Museum's catalogue.
- Henrique Leitão is awarded an ERC Advanced Grant
28 March 2019 News
The project “Making the Earth Global: Early Modern Nautical Rutters and the Construction of a Global Concept of the Earth” (RUTTER) will be funded in two million euros. It is the second ERC grant attributed to a CIUHCT researcher.
- Listening to the Dynamics of Scientific Practice and Technological Development @ Soundscape Campus Colloquium 2019
27 March to 12 April 2019 Meetings
Soundscape Campus is back for a second edition, taking sound as a hub for reflection and hybridization between History of Science and Technology, Sciences, Ecology and Arts, and operating in the larger global context of inquiries into human agency in nature as raised by the concept of the Anthropocene. At FCT/NOVA.
- When science (did not) kill the locusts: The Locust Extinction Services between 1899 and 1980
11 April 2019 CIUHCT Lectures
With Inês Gomes, at FCT/NOVA.
- Ana Viseu in the 2019 edition of Mulheres na Ciência
26 February 2019 News
“Mulheres na Ciência” [Women in Science] is a homage by Ciência Viva to portuguese women scientists, now in its third edition (following 2016, 2017).
- Building Anthropogenic Landscapes in 19th and 20th Century Africa: Railways in Photography
08 February to 08 May 2019 Exhibitions
No Museu Nacional Ferroviário (Entroncamento), com organização de Hugo Silveira Pereira.
- Book by Bruno Navarro praised in Angolan newspaper
29 January 2019 News
The book Um Império projectado pelo silvo da locomotiva [Eng: An empire projected by the whistle of the locomotive], by Bruno Navarro, has received strong praise in the angolan newspaper Novo Jornal, both for its scientific quality and relevance to angolan history.
- Launch of the website Field Scientists in the Portuguese Empire (FiSciPe)
13 January 2019 News
Cláudia Castelo's Investigador FCT project has launched a website dedicated to the presentation of its results. We highlight the searchable database, which gathers data from organisms and research personnel directly, or indiretly, involved in field work in the portuguese colonies, between the 1930s and the 1970s.
- CIUHCT at the 8th International Congress of Technology, Science and Society
09 January 2019 News
Researchers Paula Urze and Maria Paula Diogo (CIUHCT coordinator) have been invited to present the keynote speakers in the first day of the meeting. Maria Paula Diogo will also be the opening keynote speaker.
- CIUHCT researchers in Applied Ethics collection
09 January 2019 News
CIUHCT coordinators Maria Paula Diogo and Ana Simões are the authors of the chapter "História da Ciência e História da Tecnologia: Reflexões sobre ética e prática disciplinares" [History of Science and History of Technology: Reflections on ethics and disciplinary practices], in the latest volume of the Ética Aplicada [Applied Ethics] book collection, published by Edições 70 and the Luso-American Foundation for Development (FLAD).
- The Expurgation of Science and the Science of Expurgating
18 December 2018 CIUHCT Lectures
With Francisco Malta Romeiras, at FCUL, C1 Building, Amphitheatre 1.3.34 (changed on Nov. 28)
- 2nd CIUHCT Distinguished Lecture
04 December 2018 Other Events
The Dominance of the Digital (1990–2016), with Thomas Misa, at the Auditorium of the Library of the Faculty of Sciences and Technology/NOVA.
- Victor de Sá Award in Contemporary History to José Avelãs Nunes
22 November 2018 News
The PhD dissertation "A Arquitectura dos Sanatórios em Portugal: 1850-1970” [The Architecture of Sanatoria in Portugal: 1850-1970] merited the distinction.
- The new issue of HoST — Journal of History of Science and Technology is now online
29 October 2018 News
A HoST — Journal of History of Science and Technology é uma revista de acesso aberto com arbitragem científica, disponível em linha, publicada em inglês pela De Gruyter, em resultado de uma parceria de quatro unidades de investigação portuguesas (CIUHCT, CIDEHUS, Instituto de Ciências Sociais, e Instituto de História Contemporânea). Clique na entrada para ler a tabela de conteúdos do volume 12/1.
- Histórias da Ciência series, every monday, in Público
06 June 2018 News
This series of articles is organised by researchers from the Medea Chart project and aims to introduce general audiences to cases in History of Science. Joaquim Alves Gaspar and Ana Margarida Nunes have coordinated the series and reviewed the articles, from a concept by Henrique Leitão.
- Thomas Horst and Luís Tirapicos, special editors of the Isis Current Bibliography of the History of Science
29 September 2018 News
Horst will be dedicated to the history of cosmography (maps, atlas, globes, instruments and texts), while Tirapicos will be responsible for publications in portuguese language and archaeoastronomy. Their mandates will run until 2020.
- Ana Simões, CIUHCT co-coordinator, President of the European Society for the History of Science
18 September 2018 News
CIUHCT researcher and current vice-coordinator Ana Simões, has started her mandate as President of the European Society of History of Science (ESHS) on September 16, after the General Assembly of the Society's 8th Meeting, a position she will hold until the next meeting, in 2020. Her Presidential Address will be published in a forthcoming issue of the Society's journal, Centaurus.
- CIUHCT applications with high approval rate in Scientific Employment Stimulus 2018
25 September 2018 News
Six new individual research contracts will open, from a total of 12 applications.
- Ricardo Carlos Smith, a forgotten pioneer of Portuguese horticulture
27 June 2019 CIUHCT Lectures
Com Richard Aitken, na FCUL, sala 8.2.06.
- Anthropocene Campus Lisboa: Parallax
15 September 2019 Calls for Papers
In this interdisciplinary event, taking place in January 2020, in Lisbon, participants will be working in workshop-like seminars hosted by conveners, and may apply to one seminar topic from each overarching framework—Systems of Social and Technological Organization and Perception and Narrative.
- Anthropocene Campus Lisboa: Parallax
06 January to 11 January 2020 Meetings
International meeting organised by CIUHCT, its Anthropolands project, and Culturgest, in Lisbon. Part of the Anthropocene Curriculum, started by the Haus der Kulturen der Welt and the Max Planck Institute for the History of Science in 2016.